Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Americana Burlap Fence Hangings

I cannot encourage people enough to check local farms and farm stands for raw materials like burlap first rather than trotting out to a craft store and paying four times the amount for a newly manufactured, characterless roll. I saved the designs on the burlap bags I purchased for a few bucks from a local farm since the bold graphics summoned images of undulating corn fields and other midwestern Americana. I stitched the burlap into old wire hangers which looped over fence pickets. The hangings brighten the gray fence for the summer.

This potato sack, depicting a tiny mustached man with a boater raised to greet others as he cruises by on a penny farthing. I find the name of the chemical "to prevent sprouting" that may have been used dissonant alongside this genteel illustration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment